October 30, 2011

3D

When I was a beginner I wasn't able to see everything around me. I think it's usual to swim without realizing the third dimension: I just look to the left or right when I searched my buddy and forgot to look up or down. I think it's an important new skill when you start to move naturally in this real life 3D movie.

Sometimes it helps you to find the other divers faster or simply don't slip your notice a shark below or a manta above you. And sometimes it helps you to avoid dangerous situations. There is a really nice dive spot near Safaga in the Egyptian Red Sea, Tobya Arbaa. I like to dive here: the huge towers are covered with corals and many small fish lives around them. The night dive is spectacular as well. The only problem is the army of spiny lionfish. During daytime they don't move too fast but in the night these fierce predators join divers and follow their torches. Whenever they find a small prey in the ray of light they attack.

I knew it and kept a distance from the seabed because they usually swim under the divers. If you descend too much you find their spikes in dangerous vicinity of your body. This time a beginner diver joined the group who didn't know this. And he simply didn't look under himself. We saw about a dozen lionfish around him which calmly followed his torch. We swam about 2-3 meters higher and started a baffling action with our dive torches: with the rays tried to attract away from our beginner buddy. He didn't notice the danger until we told him what we saw on the surface. And this wasn't the only one occasion when I saw nasty situations which were easy to avoid or solve if the divers could have seen in 3D. A typical problem when the diver is descending or ascending heedlessly and kicks other divers' mask or lost his own. Whenever you go under water don't forget to check what's above or under you- it's very useful if you don't want to feel but to see lionfish' spikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment